Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Back to High School







Karen the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) volunteer in our city invited us (Justin, Heather, and myself) to discuss about who we are and how we grew up to classes in her high school (probably talked to about 6 classes; 3 sessions, 2 classes in each session) .

It was great because it gave us the opportunity to explain how Americans are different and not necessarily just one color and especially the mentality of our parents when they migrated here. They seemed fairly surprised when I talked with a strong American accent and grew up eating hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza (I know what a terrible diet, but that's what I ate because I wanted to fit in, plus it was hard to explain Filipino foods to other kids at the time - sad I know). Most importantly it gave us the opportunity to start meeting the community (Thanks Karen!).

Justin and I had similar stories to share in growing up which we believe hit home with the Romanian students. We explained how our parents in the 60's/70's did not want to teach us their native language (Filipino for me and Spanish for Justin) in fear that we would not fit in as an American and not assimilate as easily (since at the time there were hardly any asians when I grew up). We said we know more about the Romanian language and about their culture than our parent's culture (which was a little sad). We also shared pictures of our hometown, family, and friends. We expressed Romania's natural beauty as well(can't just brag about our hometowns the whole time especially since we have different problems), which seemed to work and how the word needs to get out about this beautiful country. Seemed to inspire them a bit !

Frankly, being back in high school was pretty therapeutic for me. The only disappointment was not being able to see Justin break a board since he knows karate.

No comments: