Thursday, May 24, 2007

@*!# dogs ! Close but I live on. Tough day yesterday.

Yesterday was one of those days...

Starts off by looking for an apartment. Thought I found a somewhat decent place but then they wanted 3 months security deposit, which after a long negotiation process was a no-go. Ughh... and the search continues but doing ok...

Go get lunch and have 6/7 boys speaking to me in Chinese, smile and move on. Something I deal with from time to time. Like growing up in Chicago in the early years. Still doing ok...

Working out and a guy at the health club was wearing daisy duke jeans, don't need to say anymore... Still doing ok...

I'm in the grocery store buying some chicken, I'm ordering and the lady asks me where I'm from. I tell her Chicago and out comes three guys dressed in Eminem style clothing yelling, "Chicago is no good, our city is the best and we stay right here!" (using both of their hands pointing down), seemed that they were quite serious. I ask, "You've ever been there?". "No, don't need to, we stay right here" (mind you, just about yelling and attracting attention). Still doing ok...

Now comes the part that almost breaks me...

I thought I almost bit the dust last night. I watched a movie at my site-mates place (Justine and Heather), '300' (about the Spartan's war against Persia (not that very good)) but hey, it's a movie so I can't complain. There are no movie theatres here or any American fast food joints for that matter, no real franchise type restaurants (actually pretty nice but once in awhile you crave that All-American bad food). I was walking back around 11:15pm and it's about a 20min walk back to my place. I was crossing a park (nobody is around and it is pitch black) and out comes about 10 dogs, 8 of them barking and growling loud quickly surrounded me (other 2 on the sidelines for support), 'uggghhh', about 4 were the size of dobermans. Didn't freeze, I just had to slowly get out of their turf but they came real close, within arm's length. I just kept yelling 'Gata!' for some reason which means enough in Romanian. I was able to slowly walk away (have to say it was about a minute but felt forever). I just kept thinking, you know, countries that eat dogs aren't that bad. If you can't control them like in the states, control them in another way.

And life goes on...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude,
We feel for you. The dogs in Romania are crazy! They killed a Japanese tourist last year.

My wife really feels "sorry" for you. She can't imagine what it is like to be a "minority" in Romania. Even the dogs will treat you worse.

Is there anything you'd "want/need/like to have if possible" from Bucharest?

Good luck with your apartment search.

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

Thanks for feeling my pain, it should get better within time, it is a small city (104,000 people) which doesn't seem to get much exposure. Fortunately, I have three great site mates to help me get by (one is leaving in July but I think we maybe getting another one).

Thanks for your comments!

Steve