Thursday, May 3, 2007

Go Time

Well, I passed my language test and it looks like I will be in Romania for two years (assuming I can hack it). We will be sworn in as volunteers Friday, May 4th at 11am. The U.S. Ambassador to Romania will be swearing us in so we are all looking forward to it. 10 weeks with intense language training, some humiliation, a mini-project all comes down to this.

I will be in Ploiesti probably until May 8 or May 9 and I will be in Drobeta Turnu Severin for two years. I will be living with a Gazda for one month and then will have an apt (can't wait).

Quick culture note on what Romanians do not like (some of us may have run into these in our own cultures):
  • No Whistling in-doors (means you are in an empty house).
  • No walking barefoot on the floors (women will not become pregnant, males may get sick).
  • Curant, can't have certain windows open at the same time (drafts the body, may get sick such as arthritis).
  • Can't go out with your hair wet regardless of weather (will get sick).

No comments: