Sunday, May 27, 2007

Better Days & Baile Herculane











Better Days
After my Daniel in the Lion’s Den incident occurred, next day was a little better. Still had a group of kids call me ‘Hey China’ but I did the P.C. thing and talked to them for a bit, went well. No guys wearing daisy duke shorts in the gym. Still having an apartment issue. No harassment in the grocery store. I was meeting Justine and Heather to go out and there were three guys sitting on a bench, two girls dressed scantily clad in front of me, who do you think the guys on the bench were staring at? I wish the girls but they were staring at me like I was from another planet. Now I can only think of two reasons why they were staring at me and neither of them are good.

Baile Herculane
Saturday Justine, Heather, and myself took a day trip to Baile Herculane. This is about a little over an hour away north of Severin. Legend has it that Hercules himself bathed in the natural springs that were built by Roman legions following their invasion of Dacia. Pretty soon the story will change to, ‘Legend has it, Heather, Justine, and Steve bathed here’. Wallowing in the ‘Seven Springs’ thermal pool (like a regular pool) was relaxing and a nice break from the city. Hiking back we found a small little nook where we saw a person go down, curious, we followed him and led us to a natural sulfur whirlpool. Ahhh… that hit the spot. We were able to carry a decent conversation with the locals as well and one of the local’s two sons lives in Chicago on Western and Foster. She asked if I knew where that was. I can only smile and wanted to say ‘2400 W & 5200 N and about 15 minutes away from Superdawg’… (in Homer Simpon’s voice) mmm… Super..dawg.

Pictures are of;

  • Justine (as Hercules himself) and I in one of the natural spring rivers.
  • Couple of dogs waiting with us in Orsova, before they turn into the hounds of hell at night.
  • Iron Gate – Hydroelectric power station and on top of the dam is the road that links Romania to Serbia.
  • Heather taking a picture with the open doors of the moving train. If you fall off and live, there is no suing anyone or any entity here. You’ll just here them say dumb@!$ and case closed.
  • Architecture in one of the old historic bathes.

No comments: